Mama Awards stays in Japan for 2nd straight year
简介Despite its global aspirations, the renewed Mama Awards by Mnet is set to take place in Japan for th ...
Despite its global aspirations, the renewed Mama Awards by Mnet is set to take place in Japan for the second straight year.
Although at a more sluggish pace than expected, the world's biggest K-pop festival said it is inching toward its goal of being held outside Asia, with this year's event taking place at the Tokyo Dome, Japan's top concert venue, for the first time.
With 20 days left until the festival on Nov. 28-29, producers of organizer CJ ENM, and this year's host, Jeon Somi, held a media day gathering in Seoul on Wednesday.
Park Chan-uk, the general manager of CJ ENM's music arm Mnet, noted of the venue's significance, as Tokyo Dome is a highly coveted stage by many global artists, and Mama will be debuting there for the first time as a K-pop festival.
"We're entering the Tokyo Dome, considered to be among Japan's three top domes along with Nagoya and Kyocera. Japan is K-pop's No. 1 consumer and the world's second-largest music market. Launching (Mama Awards) at a symbolic and central location of such a country itself holds value," Park said.
Last year's venue was Kyocera Dome in Osaka, Japan. The Mama Awards being held in Japan this year comes as a slight disappointment to some as the event had undergone a major renewal last year, renaming itself as the Mama Awards, from its previous name, the Mnet Asian Music Awards, in expression of its ambition to go more global.
Kim Hyun-soo, head of music content at CJ ENM, had stated at the media event last year that Mama Awards aims to be held in the US within three years.
When asked by The Korea Herald whether the plan is still feasible, CJ ENM's Live Entertainment Content Planning Manager Lee Sun-hyung gave a vague response.
AliExpress, an online direct purchase platform owned by Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba Group, has ...
한동훈 법무부 장관(왼쪽)과 이준석 전 국민의힘 대표. 연합뉴스이준석 전 국민의힘 대표가 22일 “나는 박근혜 키즈지만 이를 넘어섰다”며“한동훈 장관도 윤석열 키즈에서 벗어나야 한 ...
The proportion of females in executive positions at the top 100 companies in South Korea reached the ...
Ideal spouse material? Above
[Herald Interview] ‘Digital paradigm shift to VR will happen 2026’
Dunamu CEO set for third term
Zyx Technology donates CAD software to Sungkyunkwan University
AliExpress vows to invest W10b to root out fake goods in Korea
[KH Explains] Why Apple's iPhone15 is selling better in Korea than China, Japan
- Rebellions' AI chip to undergo IBM quality testing
- Uzbekistan, Korea boost customs cooperation
- [Hello Hangeul] The making of Korean language textbooks featuring BTS
- Major Korean firms fare worse than US counterparts in H1
- Yoon's approval rating edges up after 6
- Over half of Koreans want continuous strengthening of alliance with US: poll
- Govt. to survey spending on private education of preschoolers, Suneung retakers
- S. Korea to step up quarantine efforts against animal diseases
- Seoul shares tumble to 5
- [Herald Interview] Song Joong
- Samsung, LG, Hyundai closely monitoring potential biz fallout from Israel
- 예술의전당 간 한동훈 화제 되자…野 "집에 스피커 두고 왜 가나"
- Seoul shares close tad higher ahead of key US jobs data
- 낙후된 골목시장 누비며 “화곡을 마곡으로 만들 것”
- [Herald Review] Ive gives a sneak peek of new album, kicks off first world tour with Seoul gigs
- Cheongju Craft Biennale stresses connection with nature, Jikji legacy
- 'No Japan?' Korea swings from extreme rejection to selective embrace
- How college students are coping with the impact of inflation
- HIT forum on space to be held in Seoul
- [Korean History] 2002, when Korea soared through World Cup
- IMF maintains 2023 growth outlook for S. Korea at 1.4 pct
- N.SSign to resume album promotion without Doha
- [Our Museums] Explore cinematic treasures at Korean Film Museum
- Shinhan to bet big on insurance tech startup
- US eases export controls on chip equipment for Samsung, SK factories in China
- Disney+’s ‘Moving’ sweeps BIFF’s Asia Contents Awards & Global OTT Awards
- Kakao Bank to acquire 10% stake in Indonesian digital bank
- Seoul shares open higher on US gains; Israel
- [Today’s K